Note: The free primer on Automotive Shielding can be requested from here.
Automotive shielding is the need of the hour as it aids in preventing the transfer of heat in-vehicle components. Automotive heat shields are used to provide protection to the vehicle body against excessive heat generated by the engine and exhaust systems.
EU set 2020 as the year to limit the average CO2 emission per kilometer per new car sale. Additionally, Germany has inclined the EV subsidies while Italy raised incentives from €60 million in 2019 and €70 million in 2020. The ascending demand for fuel-efficiency standards will drive the market for Automotive Shielding. In 2020, The U.S. auto industry sold approximately 3.4 million cars.
APAC Region will see soaring market growth in the Global Automotive Market due to the accelerated development of intelligent transport systems. The other factor is an exponential increase in connecting mobility in countries such as China and Japan.
Customers have become more conscious and are opting profoundly the vehicle that has automotive shielding. The materials that are used in automotive heat shield fabrication comprise aluminum, nylon, and ceramic.
It is observed that sometimes these exhaust gases reach temperatures up to 900 degrees. The high temperature can cause extensive damage to the vehicle if shielding is not provided. Automotive shielding has become a necessity to make the vehicle function more effectively.
To understand the industry challenges relating to the automotive shielding industry, we went through thousands of scientific pieces of literature/ academic publications and patent literature based upon which our team found the following major industrial problem:
- Thermal damage due to low heat dissipation in the engine room.
- Sound absorption performance has not been satisfactory by the conventional panel.
Post comprehensive analysis we came across the following viable, innovative, and possibly the finest solutions:
- Fibers having different thermal expansion coefficients are arranged in a radial shape. When the temperature becomes higher, the bonding fiber material is deformed. And the plurality of air holes are formed in the fiber layer. Therefore, heat dissipation is promoted through the vent holes, which helps in avoiding heat retention.
- The composite panel is used for sound absorption and sound insulation. The composite panel has a perforated panel and an embossed panel. A sound-absorbing and insulating material are inserted between the first perforated panel and the embossed panel. Therefore, perforated holes diversify the frequencies of sound.
The difference in vision about the future can make all the changes. It is always good to stay ahead and have a very clear vision about future technology. The future ofthe automotive shielding industry willfocuson customer convenience, compliance, and guidelines. It has a very promising future.
Game-Changing Technologies in Automotive Shielding Industry
- Honda Motor – A plurality of bonded fibers obtained by bonding a first fiber and a second fiber having different thermal expansion coefficients from each other are arranged in a radial shape. When the temperature becomes higher, the amount of thermal expansion is different between the first fiber and the second fiber, and the bonding fiber material is deformed, for example, in a curved manner. As a result of making the fiber layer lose, a plurality of air holes are formed in the fiber layer. At high temperatures, heat dissipation is promoted through the vent holes, so so-called heat retention can be avoided, and thermal damage can be effectively prevented.
- Hantec Technology – The composite panel may include a first perforated panel and a second embossed panel. A sound-absorbing and insulating material inserted between the first perforated panel and the embossed panel. First perforation groups are formed by collecting a plurality of first perforated holes. Second, embosses are formed by forming the plurality of cells and coupled to the first perforated panel. Perforated holes may be irregular. As a result, the sound absorption performance may be improved by diversifying the frequencies of sound.
If you are thinking about where you can look for some technological solutions and insights, feel free to contact us. We conduct a comprehensive analysis and provide consultation services on innovation management, research support via problem-solution approaches.
Global Automotive Shielding Market
- Global Automotive Shielding Market revenue is expected to expand at a CAGR of 8.7% from US$ 7.56 Bn in 2019 to reach a value of US$ 12.46 Bn by 2025 over the forecast period.
- Based on Shielding, the market is segmented into Heat Shield, EMI Shield. EMI shielding will be the fastest-growing segment.
- Based on Vehicle Type, the market is segmented into Passenger cars, Light Commercial Vehicles, and Heavy Commercial Vehicles. Passenger cars anticipated registering the highest growth.
- Based on Geography, the market is segmented into APAC, Europe, North America, South-Central America, and Middle-East Africa.
Inspiring Industry Cases of Automotive Shielding Industry
- Nissan (JAPAN) – Nissan will demonstrate the new lightweight sound insulation material, known as acoustic meta-material. A combination of a lattice structure and plastic film controls air vibrations to limit the transmission of wide frequency band noise, such as road and engine noise. Weighing one-fourth of conventional sound insulation materials, Nissan’s acoustic meta-material delivers both quietness and efficiency.
- NationalUniversityofSingapore (SINGAPORE) -For the first time, recycled car tire fibers (RCTF) shredded from car tire waste are developed successfully into a novel material, a rubber aerogel, using polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) and glutaraldehyde (GA) as crosslinkers through a cost-effective freeze-drying method. The rubber aerogel exhibits excellent heat insulation properties, very good thermal stability up to 500 °C.
- Nanoprom (ITALY) – An innovative paint is revolutionizing the world of aeronautics, automotive (especially electric cars), and Formula 1 itself. Thermal Shield is based on silicon and does not contain carbon atoms, on the other hand, makes the performance of this paint exceptional against fire and heat sources. This flame retardant paint, applicable to engines and potentially flammable components.
- Technical University of Cluj-Napoca (ROMANIA) – Sheep wool is a sustainable material for acoustic applications. The materials were made from sheep wool by thermo fusion with polyester fibers obtained from recycled polyethylene terephthalate (PET). It was demonstrated that sheep wool with PET fiber was a good sound-absorbing material at medium and high frequencies.
Each year Signicent provides consultancy to hundreds of organizations to help transform their innovations to value.
Brands working in “AUTOMOTIVE SHIELDING”
- Autoneum is an internationally active Swiss automotive supplier headquartered in Winterthur, Switzerland. Autoneum is one of the leading manufacturers of in-vehicle acoustic and thermal insulation for vehicles and supplies the majority of global automobile manufacturers
- 3M headquartered in Maplewood, Minnesota, U.S. operating in the fields of industry, worker safety, US health care, and consumer goods. 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Absorption Material is effective for noise reduction and thermal insulation in vehicles.
- Lydall is headquartered in Manchester, UK. Lydall producing specialty engineered products for the thermal/acoustical and filtration/separation markets.
- Carcoustics is an international automotive supplier with headquarters in Leverkusen, Germany. The company develops and manufactures acoustically and thermally effective components for the automotive and commercial vehicle industries.
Any technology or methodology that can revolutionize the life of customers as well as the market is surely going to gain popularity. Signicent (Technology, IP & Market Research) can help you with finding similar relevant technological advancements occurring in your industry. Connect with us!
Acquisitions and Collaborations
- DANA TO ACQUIRE PORTION OF LIGHT-VEHICLE THERMAL BUSINESS FROM MODINE MANUFACTURING COMPANY
On November 2, 2020, Dana Incorporated announced today that it has signed a definitive agreement to purchase a portion of the thermal-management business of Modine Manufacturing Company’s automotive segment. Dana’s in-house engineering and manufacturing of thermal-management technologies is an important differentiator, and this acquisition is synergistic with its current portfolio.
- HALCO AND 3M TEAM UP TO REDUCE NVH IN ELECTRICAL VEHICLES
On October 21, 2020, Halco and 3M team up to reduce NVH in electrical vehicles. Halco has its line of engineered adhesives, in both rubber and acrylic, though Halco will often laminate high-performance adhesives tapes from 3M to its fastening materials to meet various automotive specifications.
To make a brand stand out in the highly competitive market, one requires to add a pinch of innovative technology and also to overcome the white spaces of the company. We can help you with this process, for any query contact us.
Due to industrialization and the inclining number of automotive sales globally there is very high possibility and opportunities for the Automotive Heat Shield Market. Automotive heat shield manufacturers have done great innovations in their products. Integration and customization of heat shields with advanced technologies have been able to ensure new and innovative heat shielding components for Hybrid and electric vehicles have been able to get novel and innovative heat shielding components that are integrated and customized into them. Vehicle light-weighting and engine efficiency is being focused as standards of fuel efficiency are increasing in EU, Japan and China.
- Green/ Blue Hydrogen Report: What innovations will drive the market?
- Protein Snacks Report: Are innovations able to boost the market?
- Computer Vision in Healthcare Report: How AI has driven innovation in cell & tissue therapies?
- Transmission and Teleprotection Report: How does innovation bring transition in the market?
- Oral Care Report: How emerging innovations are shaping the market?